Welcome to the Suffolk Local History Council
The purpose of the Suffolk Local History Council is to encourage and support the study of local history and to act as an umbrella organisation for groups and individuals with similar interests in the county of Suffolk.
We are a registered charity financed by our members.
Our activities include:
- producing a twice yearly journal, the Suffolk Review, which publishes current research on Suffolk local history.
- circulating a twice yearly Newsletter keeping members in touch with the local history scene across the county of Suffolk.
- producing a twice yearly Calendar of Events listing lectures, courses and exhibitions of interest to local historians.
- a yearly lecture on a topic of recent historical research given at our AGM held each November.
- a local history conference featuring talks and presentations of recent historical research.
- Societies Day – a forum for our member societies.
- Day Meetings hosted by our member societies for members to learn more about their area of Suffolk.
- running the Recorders’ Scheme – to ensure that changes taking place at local level are adequately recorded for future historians.
- offering small loans to help towards the research and publication of aspects of Suffolk’s history.
- liaising with organisations, such as the Suffolk Record Office, in the promotion of similar interests.
PLEASE NOTE: The Suffolk Local History Council has no expertise in family history, and is not able to help directly with family history queries. We would suggest that you contact the Suffolk Record Office and the Suffolk Family History Society
Registered Charity no. 294270 © 2017 Suffolk Local History Council